Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Applecare = Failcare

Last week felt like I was walking sky high. I strolled right into my local Walmart and purchased my very own iPad2. Being that I can hardly afford life's daily amenities much less dropping hundreds of dollars on a mac product, I felt like I deserved something special this year and decided to blow my entire paycheck. Though I could have bought a whole new gaming laptop for that price, a system capable of much more than your iPad, however I didn't need another. I wont lie, I felt like the coolest kid at school when the lady asked whether I wanted to pay with "debit or credit" and I was able to answer with "debit" so calmly. Normally, I talk myself out of going to social events for the mere fact I don't want to spend money, so this was a big deal.




THIS, basically was why I bought the damn thing. Convenience. I needed something that would help with school and not weigh 25 lbs while causing my dainty areas to engulf in heat. My dad being awesome like he is even bought me an HDMI adapter. Then all I had to do was buy the case, which I did and failed horribly at because yesterday afternoon while picking up the case, my iPad2 slipped right out and fell approx a foot, completely shattering the screen. When I tried to pick it up, I sliced several fingertips from the protruding glass. The surface appeared smooth but obviously it was not, so beware in case this happens to you. Please note this is an Apple product case, costing me 35 dollars. If only I had bought the bluetooth keypad one for just 10 dollars more instead, the one I selected only secured three sides of the iPad. *dolt*



My face when I finally absorbed the full extent of the damage on my brand new apple product. Now what was I to do? My mind was racing, calculating the losses devastated me. I immediately went to Applecare for a solution and found one... a 400 dollar one! Not sure if anyone has actually read the entire apple agreement but it's hilariously and accurately depicted in the South Park "HUMANCENTiPAD" episode. The entire thing is 65 pages long,with 64 pages devoted to telling you that you are screwed at every turn. Applecare does not cover water damage like ALL warranties known to man it seems and certainly does not cover accidents. So I had a thought, how do these technicians determine whether an issue is sourced from the manufacturer or user based? Needless to say I was not going to pay 400 dollars to have my screen replaced, the rest of the iPad seemed to function normally. In my most desolate hour a golden ray of sunshine pierced through the dark clouds and warmed my brain. I was suddenly aware that I had purchased a SquareTrade warranty.




SquareTrade cares, Applecare is just a dirty lie like the one your dad told your mom when he came back from Thailand. SquareTrade actually covers water damage and accidents. Their motto: stuff breaks. Had I not purchased their 100 dollar warranty when I initially bought the iPad, I would be out an additional 400 dollars on top of my initial purchase if I had gone with Applecare. Why does a company like Apple, a company with enough money to make every single one of their customers happy lifelong continue to allow discontentment? If they just allowed complete coverage on legitimate claims they would never lose a consumer thus tripling profits. I would even accept a 50 dollar deposit for each repair, hell.

Still, all of this is my fault, I should have made sure the case could secure all 4 sides before buying and at least replaced it when I found out it didn't. Thankfully, it all worked out but I wanted to make sure everyone knew just how fragile these iPads are, not nearly having the same durability as the iPhone and that even if you think you don't need it, buying the insurance is always worth it! Especially if you are like me, a never ending disaster, I have broken a DS, iPhone, and camera in a single month alone. SquareTrade fixed my iPhone with the quickness then as well. Point being, buy your warranty's as soon as you can. And no, this isn't promotional at all, these people genuinely saved my ass and they deserve the shout out.

2 comments:

  1. Woah, that sucks. Kudos to squaretrade I use them with my ipod and TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea they are great to have, though it's nice to note they don't cover internationally purchased products outside of eBay. I wish I knew that when I first signed up being that I travel a lot and it's cheaper to buy electronics overseas in some cases.

    Or you could just buy a receipt (use your own serial #) for the same item bought in the U.S., sign up for a new warranty and use that receipt with your product. I didn't say that though ;)

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete