Monday, May 30, 2011

The Captain's Calling - A Sea Shanty

While mussing about in my attic the other night I spotted a rough edged box hidden in the corners and well encompassed by the insulation. Curiosity abound I fetched it and inside I found a plethora of childhood memorabilia and was delighted to spend the rest of my evening reminiscing about sweet, simpler times. I found an old scrapbook, my very first photo albums, some drawings and one item in particular that really struck me, mainly because I thought I had lost it forever. It was a simple black sketch book, no designs or markings on it anywhere and every page within a perfect white. All except the first fifteen pages which contained various sketches, wild stories, and scientific discussions held between me, the pencil, and paper.

Among some of these wild tales of misadventure and astounding truths, was a pirate shanty written by me when I was much younger. Admittedly, the first two sentences of the chorus were taken from a popular online shanty I found when first writing it. The rest however, was written entirely by me, scout's honor. It's unfinished but I thought it would be fun to share, and so it begins:


The Captain's Calling


A pirate I was meant to be
Trim the sails and roam the seas!
A plundering we a go at night
Grab yer cutlass, time to fight!

Fail and a cat 0' nines will greet ye in hell!

Theres a bounty on me head
sooner or later I'll be dead
When theres looting to be had
I'll skewer the guts of any lad!

Screams echo into the night
None can block out their plight
Sinking ships set ablaze
staring intently, all quite amazed

Patch for an eye, hook for a hand
None dare stop me villainous band
My ship is full of Spaniards gold
Aye avast matey what a sight to behold!

Lose a limb, not a problem
Ye'll meet it again at the bottom
Squawking parrot on my shoulder
His heart like ice, nothing is colder

"Pieces o' eight! pieces o' eight!" I say
The weak shall rue the day
If ye dare mess with me loot
Expect a beating from me boot!

A golden maiden guides my course
Valiant as any mans horse
Prideful at the tip of my bow
scaling reefs, victorious somehow

The life I chose may be hard
yet I couldn't have dealt a better card
I fly my colors of skull and crossbones
to warn the defiant of Davey Jones

I call over this wretched bum
scream, holler, fetch me rum!
All sit in fear as I gloat
For none dare oppose Capn Cut Throat!

Mess with me then get on yer knees
No time for yer useless pleas
Once flesh meets with my dagger
Ye'll break and begin to swagger

Time for a floggin, ready for a keel haul
This way I won't have to deal with a brawl

"LAND HO!" a cry from the crows nest!
"It cannot be, surely you jest!"
"Ye thar grab me spyglass!"
"There over yonder, beyond the mast!"

Perhaps we'll find buried dubloons
anything is better then this untimely doom

Mutinous bastards, sons of whores
Who could witness a better score

Over there behind Spikey Point
Turned and twisted like my joint
In the bend to Cannibal Cave
For those who enter must be brave...

X MARKS THE SPOT!

Well, that's it, one of these days I might finish it but the whole thing is rather silly and I don't find myself poetically inclined whatsoever. If you think you have something to add or you'd like to finish it please let me know! Take care everybody.




No comments:

Post a Comment